Punjabi kadhi is a yogurt gramflour curry seasoned with spices, mixed with fried vegetable pakoras and served with rice. Step by step instructions to make a delicious Punjabi Pakora Kadhi -
For Pakoras -
- 1 cup besan, gram flour
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup potatoes, peelrd and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fenugreek (Meethi) leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. or to taste, red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. carom (ajwain) seeds (optional)
- Oil to deep fry
For Kadhi -
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup besan, gram flour
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, very finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Green Chilies, slitted lenght-wise
- 1 Bay leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 whole dried red chillies, broken in half
- 1/4 tsp. fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- A pinch - asafoetida (Hing powder)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp. cilantro (coriander) leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- In a bowl, mix the onions, potatoes, ginger, methi leaves. Add besan, red chill powder, ajwain seeds and salt.
- Add about half a cup of water or as needed to form a thick batter. The batter should not be too dry.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan. Take spoonful of batter in between your fingers or in a spoon and carefully drop it in oil. Drop 5-6 pakoras in single batch. Fry them on a medium flame, flipping once or twice.
- Deep fry them until medium brown and crispy. Drain and transfer on plate having kitchen paper napkin on it and keep aside. Follow the same process for remaining batter.
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt, besan and turmeric until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps. Use a hand beater or blender to prepare a smooth batter.
- Add 1� cups water, turmeric powder and salt. Blend all ingredients using hand blender until smooth batter. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- In a heavy-bottomed deep pan, heat the oil over medium flame. Add asafoetida and wait for 2 seconds. Add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and red chillies. Allow the seeds to crackle.
- Add the chopped garlic, saute for few seconds until it is light brown.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and onion and stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the besan mixture to the pan. Add salt, and red chilli powder. Bring to boil on medium-high flame while stirring occasionally.
- Then lower the flame, and allow the mixture to simmer for 30-40 minutes or so. Stirring occasionally.
- If mixture becomes very thick, then add 1/2 cup more water and cook for 5 minutes. It should have pouring consistency.
- Now add the pakoras and cook for 10 minutes. Garnish with garam masala powder and chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Punjabi kadhi pakora is served chawal (steamed rice) and is a delicious wholesome meal.