- 1 cup besan, gram flour
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup potatoes, peelrd and finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fenugreek (Meethi)
- 1 tbsp. of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. or to taste, red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. carom (ajwain) seeds (optional)
- Oil to deep fry
For Kadhi -
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup besan, gram flour
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, very finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Green Chilies, slitted lenght-wise
- 1 Bay leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 whole dried red chillies, broken in half
- 1/4 tsp. fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- A pinch - asafoetida (Hing powder)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp. cilantro (coriander) leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- In a bowl, mix the onions, potatoes, ginger, methi
leaves. Add besan, red
chill powder, ajwain seeds and salt.
- Add about half a
cup of water or as needed to form a thick batter. The batter
should not be too dry.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan. Take spoonful of
batter in between your fingers or in a spoon and
carefully drop it in oil. Drop 5-6 pakoras in single
batch. Fry them on a medium flame, flipping once or
- Deep fry them until medium brown and crispy.
Drain and transfer on plate having kitchen paper
napkin on it and keep aside. Follow the same process
for remaining batter.
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt, besan and turmeric
until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
Use a hand beater or blender to prepare a
- Add 1½ cups water, turmeric powder and salt.
Blend all ingredients using hand blender until
smooth batter. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- In a heavy-bottomed deep pan, heat the oil
over medium flame. Add asafoetida and wait for
2 seconds. Add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, black
peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and red chillies. Allow
the seeds to crackle.
- Add the chopped garlic, saute for few seconds
until it is light brown.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and onion and
stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the besan mixture to the pan. Add salt, and
red chilli powder. Bring to boil on medium-high
flame while stirring occasionally.
- Then lower the flame, and allow the mixture to
simmer for 30-40 minutes or so. Stirring
- If mixture becomes very thick, then add
1/2 cup more water and cook for 5 minutes. It should
have pouring consistency.
- Now add the pakoras and cook for 10
minutes. Garnish with garam masala powder and
chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Punjabi kadhi pakora is served chawal
(steamed rice) and is a delicious wholesome meal.